Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolutions

I don't take a hard stand on New Years resolutions.  Sometimes I make them, sometimes I don't; this year I decided to take a stab at a few.  I have come across many philosophies on resolution making: only make one; make several, but expect to let a few go; be easy on yourself; stick to them or you'll fail; be specific; be general... I'm just going to throw 'em out there and hope a couple stick.

My 2009 Resolutions:

1. This year I am going to try (sorry, Yoda) to start running again with the hope of running a 10k or even a half marathon (Disneyland has one that sounds fun) by the end of the year. 

2. I am going to organize our finances (budget, goals, inventory for insurance purposes, will, etc.) and pay off debt (except mortgage and student loans).

3. I am going to get better organized with homeschooling (creating a defined area in our house for my materials, planning curriculum purchases, making long-term goals, joining clubs, etc.) because this year I've just been winging it and next year will be tougher with Lily in the mix.

4. I want to entertain more in 2009.  We always make excuses about why we can't have people over (most excuses involve the sorry state of our house) and as a result, we've become pretty insular.  And we aren't invited to others' houses very much anymore (we've fallen off the social radar).  I'd like to have one theme dinner party, two regular dinner parties (can be BBQs), and start an annual party tradition (our house could be THE place to be for National One-Hit Wonder Day, September 25).

5. I'd like to use more parentheses, semi-colons, ellipses, and m-dashes.  They really are a great way to show that you have a healthy respect for good grammar, but don't care enough to edit your freewheeling thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I may have to use some of these this year too!

    ReplyDelete